NO. 2  
This page put online July 10, 2002
 
Old Nanty-Glo Journal News
from The Nant-Y-Glo Tri-Area Museum and Historical Society

MAY 25, 1922

HOME HOTEL BUILDING READY FOR REMODELING

The damage to the Home Hotel building which occurred recently when a "cave-in" took place which not only imperiled the hotel but the adjoining buildings, has been repaired and the building now rests securely on its foundations ready to proceed with the work of remodeling at once. The foundation work was done by Contractor Peter Corti and the work of reconstructing the big building and subdividing it into store rooms will at once be started under the direction of Dilling & Barnhart, according to Philip LaMantia, owner of the building. This will greatly add to the prestige of Railroad Street as a business thoroughfare and is a substantial indication of the belief that this borough is to be much larger in a commercial sense within the next few years. Many outside people have remarked that Nanty-Glo is starting to go ahead and the amount of building already scheduled for this summer indicates clearly that we will have no difficulty in maintaining our place as Cambria County*s second city for several years to come, at least. 

*************************

DECEMBER 22, 1932

GEO. ONDRIEZEK'S MORGUE DESTROYED BY FIRE

Fire at 7:30 o'clock Friday evening completely ruined George Ondriezek's morgue and funeral chapel adjoining his residence on the Cardiff road. The building was gutted and the contents including 60 or more caskets were ruined by fire, smoke and water. The loss was around $10,000, with only $1,000 insurance on the building and none on the contents. The origin of the fire is unknown. It was first noticed by a passing motorist who sounded the alarm. The firemen attempted to extinguish the flames with chemicals, but later pumped three streams of water on the blaze. The embalming equipment in a corner room of the basement was the only part of the property not damaged.  

*************************

OCTOBER 30, 1947

OPENS NEW BEAUTY SHOP

Dominick Bucci, who recently graduated from the Hammond School of Beauty Culture in Johnstown, where he took first prize in his class for hair styling, has opened a beauty parlor in a room adjoining the former Cozy Corner Restaurant, opposite the Heisley Store on Lloyd St. He calls his place Dom*s Beauty Shop. In an adv. elsewhere in this issue he extends an invitation to ladies to try the service he offers. 

End ... BLH