NO. 17  
This page put online November 9, 2002

Old Nanty-Glo Journal News
from the Nant-Y-Glo Tri-Area Museum and Historical Society


JUNE 10, 1926
CHIKAREE FIRE TOWER CLOSED

The Chikaree fire tower, located near the William Penn highway about two miles west of Mundy's Corners, closed last week for the season. This tower guards thousands of acres of forest land in this section of the Gallitzin district and was in charge of Arthur G. Buterbaugh of Wehrum as towerman. The season just closed, has been one of the most strenuous in the tower's history. All fires were reported promptly and with the splendid work of the local wardens were quickly extinguished. About a thousand people visited the Chikaree tower during the two months, there being 793 visitors during the month of May alone, showing great interest on the part of the people of this and other states in the fire fighting methods of the state forestry department.

*************************

DECEMBER 29, 1927
CAMBRIA BUS COMPANY FORMS COUNTY MERGER

Announcement was made, this week, of the purchase of the rights and equipment of the Southern Cambria Bus Co. Lines by the Cambria Bus Co. New schedules will be announced the first of the year and the service to the various towns of the county will be unified into one system. The main headquarters and car barns will be in Ebensburg. H. A. Englehart of Ebensburg is president of the Cambria Bus Co., and other local men are extensively interested in the enterprise.

The Cambria Bus Co. has been operating bus lines between Ebensburg, Revloc, Cresson, Loretto and Colver. The Southern Cambria Bus Co. has operated its service between Johnstown, Nanty-Glo, Belsano, Vintondale and Ebensburg. The other line connected South Fork, Beverdale and intervening points with Johnstown. The local company also controls the Northern Cambria Bus Co. operating lines to Carrolltown, Patton, Barnesboro and other towns in the north of the county and connects at Patton with an Altoona line.

*************************

SEPTEMBER 17, 1931
Historical Facts About Old Bethel Baptist Church

The old Bethel Baptist church, four miles west of Ebensburg, was established as an outpost of the Beulah Baptist church in 1833 and the first burial in the cemetery was made in 1834 . The deed for the property was recorded in 1850 and the church was reorganized in 1851.An old log house of worship was long in use, but in 1860 the present building was erected. The old log building is well remembered by Richard Thomas of Ebensburg, who attended the reunion held at Bethel on August 12, 1931. Later a group of men gathered and fixed up the cemetery. The new church was chartered as the Bethel regular Baptist church in 1874.

Among the oldest present at the reunion in August were: Mrs. Jefferson Rowland, Johnstown; Mrs. Evelyn (Reese) Williams and Richard L. Thomas, Ebensburg. Another who was unable to attend was Mrs. Mary (Davis) Stiles, widow of Luther Stiles, at present residing at the Baptist Home in Pittsburgh.

Civil War veterans buried in the Bethel cemetery are: George W. Berkey, George Campbell, Thomas Mahan, Simon H. Hilty, John J. Jones, Philip H. Jones, Rev. Elias Rowland, William Larimer, Thomas W. Reese, Luther Stiles, Peter Wagner, Isaac N. Wissinger, Thomas E. Davis, Isaac Mahan. (from the Mountaineer-Herald)

*************************

JANUARY 16, 1947
SHOWING NEW FRAZER CAR

One of the new Frazer cars is here at last. The first public showing of the luxurious new model will take place at the show room of the Nanty-Glo Motor Sales and Service on Chestnut St. Friday, the 17th at 9 a.m. Joe (Sparky) Millward and Angelo Galli are the proprietors.

End ... BLH