NO. 90 
This page put online April 1, 2004
Old Nanty-Glo Journal News
from the Nant-Y-Glo Tri-Area Museum and Historical Society


JULY 30, 1925
FAMOUS MOVIE ACTOR'S ANCESTORS LIVED HERE

Harold Lloyd's Grandparents Originally Resided at Beulah

RELATIVES HERE YET

Harold LloydMany movie fans have seen and admired Harold Lloyd acting on the screen, but probably few are aware that his ancestors were residents in this vicinity. His grandmother, Phoebe Lloyd, was born about four miles from Nanty-Glo, at the site of the old deserted village of Beulah.

To the left of the road leading through Beulah to Ebensburg, at the foot of a hill stands a dead pine tree. This tree stood in the front yard of what was once the home of John and Jane Lloyd, great-grandparents of Harold Lloyd, the famous movie actor. They settled here at an early day in the history of this country. A stone heap is all that is left there of the home now. In this home was born John, Ellen, Ann Griffith, Thomas and Phoebe Lloyd. From there the family moved to the Griffith Lloyd farm near Beulah.

Phoebe, the youngest daughter of the family, Harold's grandmother, married Stephen Lloyd, and uncle of Fess Lloyd, now living near Ebensburg, She and her husband moved from there to Nebraska over fifty years ago. Their son, John Lloyd, Harold's father, was born after they went to that state. Jerry Lloyd, a well known farmer and former teacher, living near Nettleton, is a full cousin to Harold's father.

Local movie fans will take a greater interest perhaps in Harold Lloyd's acting when they remembered that, indirectly at least, he is a product of this vicinity.

*************************

FEBRUARY 15, 1962
Blacklick Township Principal, W. C. Nenninger, Dies Monday

William NenningerWilliam C. Nenninger of Belsano, teacher and administrator in the Blacklick Township School District for the past 40 years, died in Lee Hospital, Johnstown, on Monday, February 12. The educator, who was 65, was admitted to the hospital February 8.

He came to Blacklick Township as a teacher in 1922 and had been supervising principal for the past 36 years.

A native of Shippensburg, Mr. Nenninger attended Shippensburg State College and Pennsylvania State University. His first teaching position was in Maryland.

Mr. Nenninger was active in many educational organizations including the Pennsylvania State Education Association, Cambria County Education Association, National Education Association and the Supervising Principals Association. He was a member of the F&AM Cumberland Valley Lodge 315; Williamsport Consistory and Jaffa Temple.

He also was active in the Twin Rocks Evangelical United Brethren Church where he served as treasurer. He also served as secretary of the Mission Board and was instructor of the Men's Bible Class.

His widow, the former Edith Irene Kelsall of Patton, teaches first grade in the Big Bend School and three of his five daughters are also teachers.

Mr. Nenninger was born on Oct. 22, 1896, in Shippensburg, a son of George and Ella (Railing) Nenninger.

Surviving are his stepmother, Mrs. Sabina Nenninger, St. Thomas, Pa.; widow, five daughters; Jean, wife of Charles Reich, State College; Sally, wife of James Adams, Shippensburg; Nancy, wife of Ronald Parnella, Niagara Falls, N.Y.; Joann, wife of Davie Kinash, Lewistown and Patricia, wife of Alan Gamertsfelder, Wooster, Ohio.

Also surviving are 11 grand children; brother, Clarence, Shippensburg; half-brothers, Roy, Walter and Harold, all of Shippensburg; sisters, Mrs. Harry Flohr, Shippensburg; Mrs. Floyd Motter, Newville and Mrs. Elizabeth Derr, Chambersburg; half-sisters, Mrs. Roy Wingert, St. Thomas and Mrs. Roy Myers of Newville.

Friends are being received at the Robinson-Lytle Funeral Home at Indiana from 3 to 5 and 7 to 9 p.m. February 15 and at the Twin Rocks EUB Church from noon until 2 p.m. February 16 when services will be conducted.

Officiating at the funeral services will be Rev. C. Herbert Stang, pastor; Rev. D. N, Ciampa and Rev. Clarence M. Bennett. Burial will follow in Lloyd Cemetery, Ebensburg.

*************************

AUGUST 25, 1921
LANDMARK GIVES AWAY TO MODERN STRUCTURE

St. Mary's Old Church Hall is now no more. This landmark has been dismantled and torn down to make way for the new Convent and School building which the local Roman Catholic Church, Rev. O'Connor in charge, has completed plans to build. When the new Convent is completed, St. Mary's parish will own a very fine group of buildings which will add to the appearance of that section of the borough wherever said buildings are located.

Marked progress is being made by contractor Cordi in putting in the foundation and the contract for the building itself will likely be let within the next few days.

*************************

End ... Barb Hakanen