Nanty Glo Journal's Betty Nedrich ends 49-year career
July 15, 2001
Betty Nedrich, who joined The Nanty Glo Journal (now known just as The Journal) after graduating from Nanty Glo High School in 1952, ended a career of 49 years in the paper's main support role as general reporter, circulation manager, and front office operative on July 6. Her career overlapped those of all of the editors, publishers, bureau chiefs and business managers the paper has ever had. H. O. Eldridge and Herman Sedloff, the Journal's original editor and publisher, were still managing it when she joined the staff.
Sedloff, who emigrated to the United States from Russia as a youth, launched the Journal in 1921. Eldridge, who came to Nanty Glo from Sturgis, Michigan, to edit the Journal, returned to his Michigan home town after retirement. Andrew P. Rogalski next took the editorial reins, leading the Journal to its most illustrious period, when for a time in the late 1950s it was the most honored weekly newspaper in Pennsylvania by virtue of the many awards Rogalski won on its behalf from the Pennsylvania Press Conference.
Her job as the most faithful worker in the Journal office for nearly five decades made Nedrich well known by most members, and all of the leaders, of the Blacklick Valley.
She plans to remain in Nanty Glo in retirement, living in the house on Second Street that she has known as home most of her life.
Nanty Glo Home Page | Vintondale | Blacklick Twp.| News Home Page | Resources