Site Overlay

Nanty Glo Timeline

1894
•Glenglade post office established with Merton A Davis as postmaster.
1896
•Glenglade is a lumber camp of 13 houses on Blacklick Creek.
•Dr. James Dunwiddie opens the first mine in Glenglade.
1899
•A Pennsylvania Railroad line comes to town to haul coal.
1900
•Lincoln Mine begins operation.
1901
•Post office changes name from Glenglade to Nant-Y-Glo.
•The first church begins Methodist Episcopal.
1902
•St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church established.
1907
•Springfield Mine opens.
1908
•Electricity available via plant operated by John and Harry Conrad.
1909
•Emma Coal Company begins operation.
1913
•First Baptist Church begins.
•Nanty Glo Volunteer Fire Company established.
1915
•Heisley, Nanty Glo’s greatest mine, opened by Coleman & Weaver Coal Company.
1918
•Nanty Glo incorporated as a borough independent of Blacklick and Jackson Townships.
•A fourth-class school is established.
1919
•St. Nicholas Byzantine Catholic Church begins (formerly known as “Greek Catholic”).
1920
•Church of God and Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses established.
•(Or early 1921) Newspaper, Nanty Glo Bulletin starts publication.
1921
•Herman Sedloff buys the Bulletin, renames and publishes first edition of the Nanty Glo Journal May 5.
•Christian Missionary Alliance and Holy Ascension Ukrainian Orthodox churches established.
1922
•Church of the Brethren established.
1925
•First four-year class of Nanty Glo High School graduates.
1927
•Ladies Auxiliary of Nanty Glo Volunteer Fire Company begins with 44 members.
1935
•Church of the Nazarene established.
1950
•Nanty Glo population is 5,500.
1957
•Nanty Glo and Vintondale schools form a joint school district.
1967
•Blacklick Township joins Nanty Glo-Vintondale to form Blacklick Valley School District.
1977
•July 20, a major flood does much damage in Nanty Glo and other area towns, including Johnstown (where dozens of lives are lost), and Vintondale.
1980
•Nanty Glo Public Library established.
1991
•Ghost Town trail dedicated; a public parkway biking/hiking/ski trail on the former Pennsylvania Railroad/Cambria & Indiana Railroad right-of-way, extending from Nanty Glo to Dilltown and White Mill.
1997
•Nanty Glo Home Page established on worldwide web, September 20.
2000
•Nant-Y-Glo tri-Area Museum and Historical Soci founded, May 11.
2009
•Nanty Glo population is estimated at 2,775 by U.S. Census Department.