nanty glo – blacklick twp – vintondale – jackson twp
Nanty Glo Gallery
Sewer Project taking palce in the community of Nanty Glo, Cambria County in 1914. This photo is from the Phyllis Grembi collection.
Clearing the land near Peach and Johnson Streets in Nanty Glo, Cambria County in 1915. In the front row are William “Peck” Paul, Catherine (Ford) Buffoni, Martha (Paul) Rummel, unknown female child, Frances (Kick-Fork) Paul and Marie (Ford) Strapple. In the rear are David W. Paul, Solomon S. Paul, Harvey Rager and an unknown adult male.
When coal was king: State records indicate that Cambria and Somerset County mines employed 21,300 workers in 1950, compared with only 1,280 in 2000.
A local salvage committee has been organized in Nanty-Glo to conduct the drive, with Henry Austin as general chairman, John Hayes, Secretary, and Harry Feeley, treasurer. Others named on the committee included Thomas Woodring, David Emerson, Emilio Luigi, Thomas Stafford, C. H. Bowers, Tony Gentile, Thomas Bello, Pat Herbert, H. O. Eldrige and John Sharpe, each assigned to some special duty.
Joe Monfordini truck with Pete Kinash, helper and Tony Gentile, driver, at left, and Eino “Red” Malcotti’s truck with Mario Malcotti, driver, at right.
Two borough trucks, workers reading from left to right James Smith, David Emerson, driver, Paul McEvoy, Henry Austin, general chairman, and Emilio Luigi, driver.
The scrap heap collecte approximately 150 tons, mostly collected in a one-day cleanup. Matt Calandra, Cresson junk dealer, is paying $12.00 per ton for the scrap and having it hauled away this week.