nanty glo – blacklick twp – vintondale – jackson twp
Nanty Glo Fire Department
Our 1948 L model Mack pumper 11 man cab. This unit served from 1948 to 1980.
In this photo, that was taken in 1986, shows 57 years of Fire Chiefs for the NGFD. 1939-1996, with Tom Waltz (second from the right) finishing his tenure at the end of 1996.
In the 105 year history of the NGFD, there has been only 9 Fire Chiefs that have served the department.
We will post when we find some additional photos, the presidents who have served our department. There has been less, with only eight serving in the 105 years. Elmer Little held the office of president for 50 years consecutively.
The station before the addition.
Ladies Auxiliary Volunteer Fire Company No.1
The fleet 1978.
Joe “Peppy” Corti and Mario “Fatty” Corti.
Nanty Glo in its prime.
Standing left to right; C.R. Dilling, Chas J. Chiari, Bill Shaner, Elmer Little, Joe Barr, Ben Edelstein, Bill McCullough, Tom Woodring, Amandus (A.A.) Detrich, Siting on the truck E.C. Davis. Circa 1935.
Pumping contest team.
The 1941 Mack & the 1928 Packard pumpers.
The 1948 Mack, 1947 Chevrolet panel truck, and the 1953 Mack.
The Ladies Auxiliary of Nanty Glo Fire Company took the first prize—a silver cup—in competition in Clymer on Thursday, Aug. 20, 1931. This is how the ladies looked for their formal portrait of the event. Their prize was for the largest and best appearing group. Mrs. A. A. Dietrich, from whose collection this picture was taken, recalls the uniforms as including white shoes and hose, green dress with white collar and cuffs and tie, topped by a green and white beret.
Among the names she recalled from this group are Nora Lamont, Mary Nairn, Jean Cortney, Gussy Ondriezek, Mrs. Sealy, Mrs. McMullen, Mrs. Peterson, Mrs. Metzler, Mrs. Dietrich, Rachel Mann, Mary Kreskosky, Lenore Carnahan, Mrs. Charles Wurm, Bessie Sargent,Mary Strapple, Mrs. Balest, Locade Peters, Betty Roberts, Margaret Cavanaugh, Nettle Ondriezek, and Mrs. Cornely.