of the Liberty Theater
above is the Grand Theatre on Shoemaker Street as it appeared
before a marquee had been added to the front of the building. The
Jackson Township tax record of 1909 listed this property as 1 lot,
1 house, used as storerooms, owned by George Commons and Joseph
Maxwell. In 1912 -13 it was converted to a hotel that burned down
in 1918. In 1920 - 21 a theater building was built on the
property by J.A. Commons, Guy Commons, and Alfred Bennett. An advertisement
in the Journal of May 5, 1921, announced movies
coming to the Grand Theatre. Over the years the name of the
theatre changed from Grand to Family and, in 1941, to the Liberty.
The Liberty (Grand) stopped showing movies after showing Chapter
Six of a series of "Captain Video" on September 5 and
6, 1952. In September 1961, John and Marion Commons Hayes
purchased the building and had the sloping floor of the theater
leveled to use the area as a warehouse for Commons Hardware.
In 1974 it was purchased by the Blacklick Valley Community Association
which used it for the Nanty Glo Senior Citizens before transferring
it to the Nant-Y-Glo Tri-Area Museum and Historical Society.