Another Cardiff Pa. has been found on old map
This page added on December 28, 2006
A few Home Page readers have speculated about the location of the "Cardiff, Pa." in the photo above for some time. Finally, through some sleuthing by Dr. Michael Sheliga of Eastern Kentucky University in Richland, Ky., the mystery has been solved. The Library of Congress is undoubtedly wrong in identifying this photo from its 1940 archives as "Cardiff, Cambria County, near Force, Pa." Force is in Elk County near the Clearfield County line, and a 1944 topographical map of the state includes Cardiff a mile or so northwest of Force, as shown in the slice of that map below. This Cardiff is, or was (as it may have gone the way of Wehrum and Bracken by now) about 10 to 12 miles south and slightly east of St. Mary's and approximately 20 miles north of DuBois. Whether a road actually goes there, now, is an open question. If you would like to check out the topographical map online for yourself, click here. The slice was taken from the lower right corner of the map. The Cardiff in Cambria County, as everyone from Blacklick Valley knows, is also known as Nettleton and is about two miles northeast of Nanty Glo and two miles east of Twin Rocks (see Blacklick Township Home Page).
© Jon Kennedy 2006