Views from the hamlet of Cardiff / Nettleton
|Cardiff and Nettleton are both names for a hamlet (defined as a village with no church), former coalmining town, in Blacklick Township, about two miles northeast of Nanty Glo (via Cardiff Road) and two miles east of Twin Rocks. Though most local villages had more than one name in their history, Cardiff / Nettleton seems to be the only one that has kept both names in use throughout the years, some apparently preferring one, others preferring the other.|
|The photo above, which is on display in a Johnstown history museum, shows miners outside the opening to Cardiff / Nettleton Mine in the 1940s. The hillside entrance to the mine is, presumably, to the left of the edge of the photo. The caption superimposed in the center says 'Man at center in light shirt and necktie is John Malcolm Coleman, Superintendent for Imperial Coal Co. at the Nettleton Mine.' Click here for a letter describing this photo and another photo taken in Cardiff / Nettleton.|
|The undated photo above, of the now-gone Cardiff Hotel, is one of hundreds of representations of Blacklick Valley contained in the NTAMHS CD-ROM now available for donation. Click here for details.|
Photo by Bill Martin; used with permission of the Nanty Glo Journal
The photograph source is unknown. This photo scan and the one above were submitted by Barbara Lindsay Hackenen
|The Cardiff Mine Company Store as it looked before its demolition. Additional historic information, facts about its use or disuse since the mine's closing, and before, and anecdotes are solicited for this page. What do you remember about this store?|
Click here for another historic photo of Cardiff, 1940,
from a Library of Congress collection.
Click here for the Nanty Glo Home Page Mines page.
© Jon Kennedy 1997, 2005