Nanty Glo was formally incorporated as a borough on September 2, 1918, however; Nanty Glo’s history predates the incorporation. In the 1890’s settlers from Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England established the town of Glenglade which consisted of thirteen homes and was a lumber camp type town. In the early 1890s, huge coal deposits were found in the settlement and commercial mining was initiated in 1896.
On February 20, 1901, Glenglade became Nant- Y-Glo which is Welsh for “Streams of Coal”. Nanty Glo was featured in articles in both Time and Life magazines in the 1940s. The May 10, 1943, edition of Life contains a photo essay by Alfred Eisenstaedt of miners’ everyday lives in Nanty Glo.